Friday, May 12, 2006

Mason Jar Lightening Bugs

in jarring sheets of grey lightening
waiting for the cracked termination of late nights
roiling enzymes flow in intestines
up ended thoughts seek low ground
sleep when the terrifying growth of junk food
will destroy a correction by the anorexic models
social media controls in Tampax and diet Coke ads
stoking the green paper fires of desire
holding in the haphazard consumption
of rampant inflation will destabilize
the divinity of class status
second chance seconds flick in and out
wick from white candle of consciousness
glowing nuclear implication lawyers
laying down a green grass carpet
watered with the sweat and blood
of covert loners lying gutted
by the dandelions, plastic coffee cups,
cigarette butts, and crushed Coors cans
laughing at the insipid correlation of human emotions
shift sand in the hands of
billionaires whose gravitational pull
draws forth oil stained waters to
erase their names from
the beach of public memory
leaving behind
toilet paper rolls of public record
to wipe their unholy aspirations
saturated with perfumes
of power and passion
they can no longer smell
money is a scratch and sniff card
an olfactory addiction
of pestle ground mortals
to spice appetites no buffet can satisfy
it's their world and
we just live in it

©polarpaul 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the comment on my site! I agree with you, and the same is true with my mom. I intend to be who I really am from now on. It will probably shock some people (lol).

This poem is really interesting. I can't say I fully understand the connection between the lightning bugs and the billionaires you mention later, but I love the imagery and the way you put the words together. I've never read anything like it.
~Angie

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home